Use my Thrifty Blue Chip Rewards Points
A Sideways Look at Wine Country
Ever since Jack and Miles visited wine country back in 2004, things in Santa Barbara have never been the same. The movie Sideways was an instant cult classic and its effect on all things “grape” is still being felt today. In fact, the Santa Barbara Convention and Visitors Bureau even printed up a map detailing all of the locations featured in the popular movie. While there are 19 in all, here are a few of the film’s most-prominently featured locales – all just a short drive in your rental car:
- The Days Inn. This is the hotel where Miles and Jack stayed in the movie.
114 E Hwy 246, Buellton
- Solvang Restaurant. Jack informs Miles that he plans to “sow his wild oats” before his wedding and warns Miles not to bring him down.
1672 Copenhagen Dr., Solvang
- River Course at the Alisal Guest Ranch. Jack, angry that another group of golfers is chipping into his and Miles’ game, takes a golf club to the terrified foursome.
150 Alisal Road, Solvang
- A.J. Spurs. Jack meets his buxom one-night stand, Cami, a waitress, at this restaurant.
350 #. Highway 246, Buellton
- The Hitching Post II. This is one of Miles’ favorite haunts. It’s also the place where Miles’ future love, Maya, waits tables.
406 E. Highway 246, Buellton
- Fess Parker Winery. Jack calls his agent from here, only to find out his book won’t be published. He would later drink an entire spit bucket of wine after the wine pourer refuses to sell him a glass.
6200 Foxen Canyon Road, Los Olivos
- Kalyra Winery. This is where Stephanie works as a wine pourer. She would later become Jack’s disgruntled, short-term girlfriend who attacks him with a motorcycle helmet.
343 N. Refugio Rd., Santa Ynez
While there are many more destinations featured in the movie, these are some of the most memorable. If you want the entire list, you can contact the Santa Barbara Convention and Visitors Bureau.