Mexico Insurance FAQs

Mexico Insurance

What is Mexico Insurance?

  • Mexico Insurance provides a customer with liability and asset protection necessary to be in compliance with Mexican law while visiting Mexico

Why am I required to purchase it?

  • Border Patrol requires a renter to be covered under a Mexico Insurance policy in order to enter Mexico as it provides legal compliance to the renter/occupants and associated vehicle crossing the border

Is it required even if I have a US auto insurance policy?

  • Yes, Mexico does not recognize US issued auto insurance policies

What does the insurance cover?

  • Liability for injury and/or damages to third parties*
  • Collision and comprehensive coverage for the rental vehicle*
  • Theft of rental vehicle*
  • Medical expenses for vehicle occupants*

What are the additional benefits of Mexico Insurance, in addition to legal compliance?

  • Local legal representation of the renter, if necessary
  • Transportation of the rental car, if not drivable, to US border for pickup by Hertz

What if I have additional questions?

  • For more information, please see a counter agent at your rental location or contact Hertz by phone.

*Coverage limits

  • Collision: $300.00 deductible
  • Comprehensive Deductible: $1,000.00
  • Medical Expense Limit: $75,000.00
  • Third Party Liability Limit:  $300,000.00 (Combined Single Limit for injury and/or property damage)

Where is Mexico Insurance available?

  • Mexico Insurance is offered at all locations/all brands in the following states:
    • California
    • Arizona
    • New Mexico
    • Texas

What is a Temporary Vehicle Import Permit (TIP)?

  • A Temporary Vehicle Import Permit (TIP) is a permit that allows non-Mexican citizens to take a vehicle across the border into Mexico from other countries. It is required for areas outside the free or border zone. The free zone is the area between 20 and 26 km (12 to 16 miles) from the border.
  • A TIP can only be obtained through Mexico’s Banjercito government agency.
  • Required Documents:

It is recommended that one carry three copies of each of the following documents

    1. Passport
    2. Driver’s license issued outside of Mexico
    3. A Mexican immigration permit – such as a tourist, business, or immigrant permit/visa
    4. The Notarized Authorization Form provided by the rental agent and signed by the customer
    5. Proof of temporary Mexican auto insurance for the vehicle
    6. The Rental Agreement

Top US Rental Car Locations

Please note that our Privacy Policy changed on 7/1/2023. By continuing to use our websites, products, or services, you acknowledge that you have read and agree to the terms of the updated Privacy Policy.